Gardner Historical Museum, Inc.

Categories

MuseumNon-Profit

About Us

The original Museum, at 204 W. Main St., is a 2-story Victorian house built for Herman B. Foster in 1893, was purchased in 2002 and renovated with financial assistance in the form of a grant from the Johnson County Heritage Trust Fund. The grand opening was held in 2003. It also includes a chicken house that was opened to the public at a later date.

In 2010, the house directly behind the Museum, at 207 W. Shawnee St. was purchased, renovated and opened to the public in 2011, as the Bray House. Built in 1952 for Bob & Doris Bray, it is reminiscent of the 1950's and 1960's. It houses our research materials, including family histories, school history and Olathe Naval Air Station history & memorabilia. It also provides administrative office, storage, meetings,and events.

Highlights

  • Special COVID-19 hours are SATURDAYS ONLY, 1-4pm at Museum and Wednesday only, 1-4pm at Bray House.
  • Holiday Closure: From December 15 through January 1. Call for special tour.
  • Current exhibit is: The Homefront, Women and Civilians during War (through most of 2021
  • Special Homefront and Military souvenirs are available.
  • Outside photo-op available as Rosie the Riveter in front and Jackie Cochran in Airplane in back of Museum.

Images

204 W. Main St.
207 W. Shawnee St.

Rep/Contact Info

Shirley Brown-VanArsdale
President / Business Membership Chair
Solene Hollingshead
Events Co-Chair
Kim Jeffers
Treasurer
Linda Loyd
Secretary / Website Mgr. / General Membership Chair
Laura McCarthy
Office Manager / Volunteer Coordinator
Nancee Rankin
Vice President / Museum Growth Committee Chair
Tressa Stone
Research Mgr.